grapeapril75

Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

Somebody tell Aunt Tillie She's Dead

Somebody tell Aunt Tillie She's Dead - Christiana Miller I was not really sure what to expect for this book. It was more a paranormal read with twists and turns, than a romance or mystery. It was entertaining and engaging throughout.

The characters are immensely likeable, Mara and Gus have a terrific dynamic. They have an awesome friendship and I really wish there were more of that and less of the underlying drama. The main plot with the doom and gloom could have more show and less tell. I found myself really wanting to know more of the build and ebb of the curse.

There is a slight romance, but really not in depth courting and certainly not a HEA. The steamy scenes are mostly closed door, you have hints of detail but never any of the good naughty bits.

It is all from Mara's POV, which limits things. The glimpses into peoples thoughts and dreams helps, but I would have liked a little more perspective from the supporting cast.

I loved the banter throughout and found myself wishing for more dialogue. I am definitely interested in more from this author and would love to see this book have a sequel. There is so much more story left to tell. I loved the tarot reading and the witchy festivals, would love more of that.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by the delightful Marie Rose. I love her voice, she has a great little raspy that sells the snark. Her pace is perfect and she has terrific energy in the read. I also have to give kudos on the accents, just the right touch, not to heavy at all. Very smooth transitions from Mara to Lissette. Definitely a narrator I will look for again.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book, even though it was not what I expected. I went into it thinking it was a paranormal romance or a cozy mystery, it is neither of those things, but still a great read.

Disclosure - I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts, ratings and opinions are my own.