grapeapril75

If Only
Cherise Sinclair

MILA 2.0

MILA 2.0 - Debra Driza Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

First off, look at that cover art!!! Amazing!! Talk about serious shelf appeal!! Does the story match the cover?

Really great YA Sci-Fi read. I am not always into android/robot books, but this one was fantastic. I really liked that ever though it was a Sci-Fi it did not get too technical. It was always easy to follow from beginning to end. It felt fresh to me, but that could be because I do not read a lot of this genre.

The whole book is from Mila's POV, which is interesting because she is actually an Android.(not a spoiler, it's in the blurb) This makes her thought process stilted and less emotional at times. Not full on analytical, but not as emotional as an average sixteen year old girl. She is discovering the world around her and evolving into those feelings. She has the emotions but is only just getting to understand them.

The supporting characters are interesting and engaging. When she is in the small town making friends with mean girls, crushing on a boy and trying to connect with her mom. Then there are a few other locations with a whole other set of characters. The bad guys are bad but have levels of redemption. It is always tough getting real villains in a YA book.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Tara Sands, who is always a great listen. She has a great rasp to her voice that adds to the overall feel of the read. She is terrific at adding energy to the action scenes and creating emotion in those big moments. She has a really swift pace to her read, which I thoroughly enjoy. Her narration is always dynamic and engaging, no matter what she is reading!

Overall, this was an intriguing read, it has the Sci-Fi elements mixed into a young and hip YA story. The book ends on a more of a new beginning for Mila. Not a true cliffhanger but not a clear ending either. You can tell the series is very connected. It will be interesting to see where this series is headed.