grapeapril75

Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

Scarlet

Scarlet - Marissa Meyer Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

The second book in the series progresses the story-line and Builds on the promise of the first book. Such a very wonderfully crafted world that is a delicious stew of fairy-tale, Dystopian society and Urban Fantasy.

This book's narrative is mostly split between two POVs, Cinder and Scarlet. Each is on their own mission and when they converge things get real! There are a couple side narratives from Prince Kai and Thorne. Sadly, we never get into Wolf's head, perhaps that would have given away too much of the story. But the girls are the main emphasis and continue to be the driving force of the series.

Both girls are sassy and determined. They are far from the angsty teens in many YA books. They are some kick butt chicks who are determined to save themselves and the ones they love. Terrific role models for teenage girls, they are strong and clever. No weepy damsels in distress. Go Girl Power!

There is an element of romance, of course it is a YA fairy-tale. The feeling come rather quickly, but again that is part of the genre. I did appreciate that one of the character's acknowledged the short time frame. For Cinder and Kai, it is more of a crush with potential for real love. The other couple is a matter of somebody being shown compassion for the first time.

The story grows even more detailed and the threads come together. It is fairly easy to put the pieces in place but they are crafted in such a way that you are always entertained. I was enchanted from beginning to end of the story!!

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Rebecca Soler, who does an excellent job. She has a great tone that adds to the energy of the book and makes the character's more engaging. Her voices are all distinct and consistent throughout the book, I never had to worry about who was speaking. Scarlet has a slight accent, but it could have been a touch more, she is French after all. She has a great brisk pace and I have been enjoying her dynamic reading of the series.

Overall, I am a huge fan of these books. Great concept that delivers new twists and turns with each new book. Even though I am not a huge fan of Sci-Fi. I have easily been enthralled with these books!! I can not wait to see what happens next!! I am ready to jump straight into the third book.

Disclosure, I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts, opinions and ratings are my own.