grapeapril75

Alien Interludes: Clans of Kalquor Short Stories
Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

A Dirty Shame (Romantic Mystery) Book 2 in the J.J. Graves Series (J.J. Graves Mysteries) - Liliana Hart Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

I like this series. I really really do. It has many faults and flaws, but manages to be charming and fun to read. I am always eager for the next book.

JJ Graves is a really intriguing woman. She has to work hard to over come her PTDS in this book. I like that she wasn't just fine after her near death experience, it gave her a greater sense of reality. She has more depth in this book and warms up on the emotional front as well. She is still engaging and dynamic. I love her playful relationship with Jack. They make a great couple and I really hope they stay together. Having been friends since diapers makes for a real connection between the characters. I felt the love more in this book than the last.

The romance is kicked up in this book. That bedroom door opens up more than a crack!! Still not a full on smexy erotic read, but more detailed than a squeaky clean romance. They are very playful in and out of the bedroom. My favorite type of relationship!

The mystery this time has underlying Aryan Nation themes. It is more on a solvable level, there are loads of holes and missing info still, but I was able to determine real suspects. I really enjoyed the twists and turns in the read. It was a stead pace for the action and details were doled out in a timely manner.

The narration is all from JJ's POV, which makes things limited when it comes to understanding other's thoughts and motivations. You don't know what the supporting characters think until they speak their thoughts.

I think there is inconsistency in the way JJ views her relationship with the towns people and what happens. In both this book and the last the people seem to treat her more as a beloved orphan they need to look out for. With the exception of a few people, the townsfolk rally around her and are meddling in the ways of ones who love not hate. I am not sure how she gets the impression they do not like her, I get the exact opposite from comments ad actions.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Laura Faye Smith, who is rapidly becoming a favorite. She does a great job of adding snark and sass to her tone that fits the characters. She does a brilliant job with the rapid fire narration and dialogue. I love a quick read and she delivers speed without losing any quality. Great voices that are distinct and consistent, very important when the dialogue ping pongs and you need to follow who is speaking.

Overall, this is a really intriguing series. The characters and banter go a long way in making the read enjoyable. Even with the issues that come up in the story line, I can't stop listening! The flaws are so easy to overlook because the book is very charming and charismatic. I am definitely addicted and need my next fix! Holy cliffhanger at the end of this one!! Way to drop a bomb!