grapeapril75

Alien Interludes: Clans of Kalquor Short Stories
Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

Secrets in the Shoebox (An Abby Douglas Mystery, #1)

Secrets in the Shoebox (An Abby Douglas Mystery, #1) - M.M. Plott I had high hopes for this one but it never reached its potential. The story was disjointed and all over the place. The time jumps were erratic, and did not always have anything to do with the mystery. I liked the main character Abby, but there was a lot missing from her back-story.

This is the first book in the series but it reads more like a second or third. Not a lot of time is spent introducing characters or their relationship to each other. It really was tricky getting a bead on the whole dynamic.

It was a generally good book and could be a great series. It just needed more background on the story and characters.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Caroline Miller, who has a great read! She has a nice even tone that moves the story along at a great pace. The voices could have been a touch different, they blended together at times. In the end the narration is what kept me listening long after I had lost interest in the story.

Overall, this was not a terrible read, just missing a lot of exposition and world building. I hope they get better as the series continues. It is a hard sell because the first book isn't cohesive.

Disclosure - I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts, ratings and opinions are my own.