grapeapril75

Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

Cursed By Destiny

Cursed By Destiny - Cecy Robson Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

There are elements of this series I really like and others that are very annoying. I am still hooked and eager for the next book, just not in love with everything.

The world building in the series has been wonderful and continues to grow. There is so much going on with the sisters, the weres, the vamps and the tribe. It is an intricate puzzle that comes together slowly.

There is a lot of action in this book, tons of battles both grand and small. One of the things that strikes me about these books is the amount of detail that goes into these fight scenes. I am talking serious gory. If I were reading instead of listening, I would probably skim over them. I am not always big on the gross details of war. But I am sure there are others who will love that.

The story is not ground breaking but it is very entertaining and engaging. I am definitely invested at this point. The book all comes from Celia's POV, which makes things limited. It is difficult to know what the other leads are feeling if they do not express them. This is also written in the first person, which doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Again, listening to the book makes a difference, you hardly even notice the tense of the read.

Most of the book focuses on the non-romance of Celia and Aric. Major drama-rama there. They are mates, everybody agrees upon that, so why is this such a big issue? In most UF books mates trump everything, and that is generally the case here too. The exception seems to be for pure blood weres, which is annoying. This is very drawn out.

There are a lot of characters to keep track of in this series. There are moments when the mind boggles. The major characters have become familiar and are no problem, it is more the minor supporting cast that gets tricky. There were a couple times I was unsure who somebody was. I feel like I need a cheat sheet at times.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Renée Chambliss, who is terrific. She makes Celia come to life in a genuine and and like-able manner. Great energy in the action scenes and distinct voices. She has a really quick pace in the read, I usually love a fast read, this one is brisker than most. I like to listen at triple speed, but this one only needed double speed. Not sure if it can be slowed down enough for those who like a more leisurely pace. I really enjoy the slight rasp to her voice and the inflection of sass it enhances.

Overall, this is a really interesting series, I just can't help but like it, regardless of the flaws. It continues to be dynamic and take twists I did not expect. The last line wasn't a shocker, but definitely opens up a whole new can of worms!!