grapeapril75

Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

Optical Delusions in Deadwood

Optical Delusions in Deadwood - Ann Charles Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

The second book in the series picks up shortly after the first one finished. Violet seems to be a real trouble magnet!! I love it!

This book does not start off with the foot Layne found, nope we have another haunted house instead. And once again, Violet is catnip to the men of Deadwood! Fortunately, she only has eyes for one, too bad her BFF thinks her is her one and only!

The mystery this time is slightly complex, it makes sense when all the pieces are together, but getting there takes time. Some villains are obvious, others take more subtle routes. There are a couple side mysteries that are still unresolved at the end of the book. I expect they will pop up throughout the series.

I really like Violet, even if she does have whiny moments. She is one of those characters who is engaging and like-able, so you forgive her annoying moments. It is great that she has more of a handle on her home situation this go around. The kids seem less in control, way to step up in the take charge mom department. She really makes some smart choices on that front.

The book is all from Violet's POV, which helps to keep some of the mystery. It also adds to the drama of the romance, if I knew exactly what Doc was thinking I might not feel tension. Violet has a really quirky and sassy narrative that adds to the overall story.

The romance with Doc Nice is delicious!! I love their whole dynamic. I will say her BFF is clueless, if a guy gets as worked up about the safety of a woman as he did for Violet, it should be obvious he is in love with her. I hope that situation resolves soon. It is the only real negative in their romance.

The steam factor is delicious!! Not quite a full on erotic romp, but plenty of smexy scenes that get a fair amount of detail. Very playful when it comes to the steam!! Seriously combustible!!

I listened to the audiobooks narrated by the delightful Caroline Shaffer. She does a wonderful job of bringing the characters to life and giving them distinct voices that fit their personalities. Her reading goes a long way in making Violet like-able despite her lying, swearing and immaturity. Somehow you just get drawn into her tone, you think Vi isn't so bad, she just makes a lot of mistakes. I love her pace, a nice swift read that is filled with energy at action and steamy moments. She really is a delight to listen to!

There are so many fun and quirky characters mixed throughout the series. I find them all delightful in so many ways. I even like Violet with all her flaws. I think it is her flaws that put her into the situations that move the plots. If she were perfect then there would be no story to tell.

I can not wait for the next books to release on audio!! I am definitely hooked!