grapeapril75

Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

Cold Shot to the Heart

Cold Shot to the Heart - Wallace Stroby Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

This is a really interesting read. All of the characters are bad guys, some are just worse than others. This is a tough gritty story with a crime underworld feel. This is a straight-up thriller with no romance to speak of, sure she had a lover but he is in prison. So, no nookie here!

Crissa might be a thief but she has redeeming qualities. She is one of the few characters in the book worth rooting for, even though she is technically a bad guy. Her crew of Chance and Wayne are career criminals as well, hard to want them to win. In the end ya gotta go with the less objectionable criminal.

Eddie, The Saint, is a tough fella, he has moments of likability in the beginning, but that quickly disappears as his true nature rises to the surface. You really want to see him get his in the end.

The story is a mixed narrative switching between Crissa and Eddies POV. This is a great device for helping bring understanding to these two characters. While it makes you really dislike Eddie, it soften Crissa up quite a bit. I will admit I was a touch confused at the beginning not knowing how these two separate stories related to each other. About halfway through they converge into the same plot. Really interesting choice for the storytelling.

The end of the book is a real nailbitter! Wow, it is a real battle of wills and luck is a huge factor for the outcome. You will be on the edge of your seat when these two meet. Fast paced and action packed for sure.

I listened to the audiobook read by Coleen Marlo. She does a great job keeping the pace of the story steady. I enjoyed her voices and thought they were distinct. She has a genuine tone that helps make Crissa more sympathetic. Overall. a nice solid narration.

I am interested in seeing what happens with this book, it is labeled as book one in a series. Not sure where it will go from here. Things ended abruptly with at least one plot point left hanging. I did like that the end mirrored the beginning.

Disclosure - I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts, opinions and ratings are my own. I received no monetary compensation for my review.