grapeapril75

Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

The Demon Master's Wife

The Demon Master's Wife - Donna McDonald Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

Book two in the series is so much better than the first!! Possibly because I fully understand everything that is happening from the start. These books are connected and definitely not stand alone reads. If you can get past the first book this one answers tons of questions and resolves major conflicts. Warning, it does lead directly into the next book in the series and the main characters of that book are left hanging in the end of this one. Great device for building anticipation of the next book!

The leads in this story are still Liam and Ania. I really like Ania and can not see why she puts up with Liam and all his issues. He is very contrary and I want to throw a shoe at him. But she loves the big lunkhead, so I have to endure him. She really is too good for him, but the heart wants what it wants.

I love that these books mix in other stories with the main romance. There are three other connections made in the supporting cast that are at varying stages of development. I can see where the series will head with those romances, and I am definitely hooked! Very smart choice on Ms. McDonald's part. She is also clever in using a mixed narrative and letting supporting characters have POV through out the book. It adds depth to the story and makes the series more engaging to the reader.

There is some steamy action this book, and while it has some detail it is strangely worded. I get this is a sci-fi but the terms they use for sex, or bonding are off-putting and far from sexy. I can not believe I am going to say this, but I wish it were closed bedroom door. Sorry, it was just not sexy at all and felt clinical at times. I usually love the steam but this was lukewarm, at best.

The side story is detailed and has many twists and turns. I loved the creativity in the story and all the action. It felt like a lot happened in a short time, but never came off as rushed or too much coming at you. I really liked the resolution of the conflict with the brother and am eager to see how things develop for Malachi.

There are moments for some of the characters where you want shake them! For supposedly old and enlightened beings they get pretty stupid! Why is it the youngest member, who is part Earthling, has the most sense? I do love Gwen and she is seriously kick butt!! She is my fav gal in the series! She has a real, you go girl moment with her mate and a taser! That will teach him!!

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Allyson Johnson. She does a much better job this time maintaining consistency. I liked the changes she made to the voices and they are now very distinct. She has a great pace and a terrific energy to her voice. I really enjoyed the emotions she was able to instill into the characters. This second book was a real improvement for her as well. I love the way she does Malachi's voice, he is positively delicious now!!

I can not wait to see the next book come out on audio. I am eager to find what is to become of the Gwen and Zade, in addition to the other crew members. Such possibilities!! I am so happy I decided to give the second book a shot!