grapeapril75

Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

The Island

The Island - Jen Minkman Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

This is a really quick read. I was intrigued from the start, Leia is the lead character and lends her POV to the narration. She is like many leads in YA books, an ordinary girl just trying to make her way in the world. She is faces with injustice and takes up the reigns to invoke change. I like the type of stories where characters do not seek to be leaders but find that they are because of circumstances.

It is a really interesting and solid read. I wish there were more, this book had some intriguing elements that could have been expanded. This is a bit of a different take on the Dystopian theme. A world based on the conclusions drawn by children, with only the memory of adult supervision, is not what I expected. The Star Wars turn is unique, there could have been much more of that coloring the society and how it developed.

I am not sure I agree with the lack of punishment for characters who were dictators and murderers. I understand they had a tough upbringing, but that is no excuse for a lack of response from the adults.

There are a couple romantic elements but they are not the driving force of the story. I expect they will be more important in the next book. This is YA, no naughty parts! It is more sweet first blush of romance.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Coco Bell, who does a nice job. She kept the voices unique and consistent. She has a very steady pace for the read, I tend to like quicker readers, even at triple speed it sounded slow. But, that is a positive for listeners who enjoy a smooth read.

The book starts with the twins at ten, then it jumps ahead until they are sixteen. It took a little bit to figure out where we were in the timeline. It might have been nice to know for sure, I spent much of the beginning trying to figure out the age frame of the lead character.

I liked this book and am interested in where it is heading. The book ends at a place where the characters are about to embark into the unknown. I am definitely interested in see where they go and what the world looks like. Here's hoping it is longer and a bit more detailed!