grapeapril75

Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin

Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin - Liesl Shurtliff Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

What a terrific story behind the story book!! Really creative new look at the age old fairy-tale Rumpelstiltskin. I loved the twists and turns, making Rump the hero was fabulous.

This is a very engaging story that holds the reader from beginning to end. It is still set in a fairy-tale world with hints at other classic tales. It is fun to hear tidbits about things you thought you knew. This is a story that moves from a small village to a castle to a land with trolls and witches. A dynamic adventure of a small boy trying to find his destiny.

The story is all told from Rumps point-of-view. He is sweet and carrying, even to those who do not really deserve his help. He is stuck in a bad situation and tries to make the best of things. I loved his heart and the strength he found in the end. This story has hidden morals and values that teach without being preachy. I can easily see and young reader falling in love with this book!

The world is beautifully crafted and all the supporting characters are fabulous. I loved his spunky friend Red, her quirky Grandma, the smelly trolls and all the others he encounters along the way. A winsome story that will spark the imagination of any child or adult!

I listened to the audiobook read by Maxwell Glick. He does a terrific job of keeping Rump humble with his tone and inflections. His other voices are great and fit each character perfectly. Great pace, not too fast or slow, it is well times for a middle-reader. He puts energy and wonder into every word.

Overall this is a delightful book. I would love to see more from this author, there are so many fairy-tales that deserve a second look. It was great seeing a character who was not bad, just misunderstood. This is my new favorite version of the classic tale!