grapeapril75

Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

Silver Storm

Silver Storm - Cynthia  Wright This is one of those books that I kept reading in-spite of disliking many aspects. I generally enjoy Historical reads, this is unique because it is set during the American Revolution. It has a great mix of true history in this action packed fiction.

The main problem I have with this book is the immaturity of the main character, Devon. It is only slightly more annoying than the overbearing attitude of the male lead Andre. I hate to compare books but this feels like 50 Shades during the Revolution, minus the BDSM. The girl is all innocent virgin taken with the controlling powerful Captain. People who enjoy that dynamic will love this book.

Despite my issues with the main characters, I was still intrigued by the story. It has a great pace and a lot happens to keep the reader engaged. The story telling is great, it just was not a theme that I adored. Devon was too immature and Andre felt manipulative. I really was not buying into the love story. More of a girlish crush on an egotistic guy. The end did have a touch more romance, I just wished it had flowed through the story.

The narrative is mixed, it mostly switches between the leads POV, but there are a few supporting cast's thoughts. This style helps to make the story fuller and gives insight into the characters.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Emily Beresford. She does a lovely job with the voices and keeping things consistent. She has a great feel for Devon, really makes her far more like-able. She has a terrific pace in the read, it makes the story move along. I am definitely going to look for more of her readings.

Overall, this was a interesting story and I was entertained in-spite of myself. The combination of a unique genre, the American Revolution, and a great narrator made the book a solid good read.

Disclosure - I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts, opinions and ratings were my own.