grapeapril75

Alien Interludes: Clans of Kalquor Short Stories
Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

Ride of the Darkyrie (Parts 1-4)

Ride of the Darkyrie (Parts 1-4) - Saranna DeWylde Folks who follow my reviews know I am not a huge fan of serials, I hate having one story doled out piece by piece. I love series but I really do not like their counterparts that are episode based. That is why this one caught me off guard. This book is the first four episodes, which flow rather nicely and felt like a more complete story.

I do not know a great deal about Norse Mythology, so this story fascinated me. I loved the way it mixed modern times and paranormal elements into an old world myth. Everything felt fresh and new, at least it was that way for me.

Brynn is a tough chick but has a heart. It is her compassion that sets her apart from her counterpart, Helreggin. She works to find a balance between who she is as a human and who she is supposed to be as a Darkyrie. It all worked beautifully, an engaging story that had my attention from beginning to end. I am a big fan of sassy independent gals!

The men in the book at interesting but not typical romantic leads. Each has flaws and issues in their interactions with Brynn. She has the added problem of having to figure out if she is the one they want or her past incarnation.

Things get smexy a couple times. There is a touch of detail but not full on erotic. There is loads of sexual tension to steam things up all over the story!

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Hollie Jackson, who has a great read. She kept the story moving along with her energetic and sarcastic tone. She had a real feel for the characters and made them come to life with each phrase. I am definitely going to look for more of her work.

Overall, I really enjoyed this quick listen but hate that I have to wait for the rest of the series. I hope the author decides to put the rest in one audiobook as well. It helps relieve the feeling of something missing that you get when reading an episode at a time. This set of four ends at a place that felt natural, no cliffhanger moments. There are still plot points to address but they are not burning questions. I can't wait to see what happens next for this Urban Fantasy!