grapeapril75

Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

School Spirit

School Spirit - Elizabeth Cody Kimmel What a great book for kids who are into ghosts and paranormal reads!! This is also a terrific book for helping kids who are a little different accept themselves! Because “In reality there is no normal. Normal is something people have agreed to invent so we have something to compare ourselves to. Normal should be the least of your worries.”, what a great lesson to teach kids!!

The whole book is from Kat's POV, she has a slightly quirky outlook for a thirteen year old. I really enjoyed her narrative and found her delightful, even when she was being touched by angst. She is a terrific role model for girls to read, and not so girly that it would turn of boys who are reading.

The plot is quick and easy to follow. The story is fun and flows nicely. I love a little ghosty mystery. This was rather simple to solve, but it is for kids and I am an adult who reads lots of mysteries. From a kids point of view this probably rocks!

Great introduction of vocabulary words for young readers. I loved that the definitions were given in a round about way and never felt dictionary. This is fantastic for kids reading at or above their level.

I listened to the audiobook which is narrated by Allyson Ryan, who is fantastic! She has clear and distinct voices, that are easy to follow in transitions. She has a great pace for kids who are listening while reading along with the book, or you can speed it up a touch if you like. I loved her energy and slightly snarky tone that really lends itself to the read. I will definitely be looking for more of her work.

Overall, this is a great read for kids and adults alike. This is one of those series that draws you in and hooks you from the start. So many great pop culture references, something kids will really appreciate. I am enthralled and will recommending it to several middle grade readers I know. What a great way to get kids who are into paranormal elements reading.