grapeapril75

Tracy St. John
If Only
Cherise Sinclair

Winter's Journey

Winter's Journey - Kathryn Meyer Griffith This is a very interesting read, not at all what I expected. Loretta is a very strong woman, she is definitely a great character. I loved seeing her journey and her strength throughout the story.

Truthfully, she has several "too stupid to live" moments. It mystified me that at every opportunity to share information with the authorities she balked. If there is a series killer out there and suddenly something strange is happening at home, you better believe I would mention it to the cops. There is no such thing as coincidence!

I really liked the interactions with Sam and the progress of their relationship. The feelings come rather quickly, you can see the threads of connection and attraction developing. It is often muddled with events that make it hard to trust the feelings.

I was a touch annoyed of how every time you start to trust Sam things occur to make him suspicious again. The mixed narrative helps you know what the real deal is with him. Most of the book is from Loretta's POV, but the glimpses into Sam help to move things along. I always prefer to know what everybody is thinking and feeling.

The story feels more like a standard fiction than a romance. Not a lot of frills here, but it has a genuine atmosphere. This is the first book I have read with a lady trucker, it was a refreshing turn. I was fascinated with the whole culture of truckers. I never realized that it was such a small world on the road.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Kimberly Henrie, who has a very smooth read. She really has a great connection with the book and the characters feel real. She has a fabulous pace that makes the story move, even in the slower moments. Great texture in her voice and distinct characters. I will definitely look at more of her work!

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. It is a slower read that takes it's time unraveling. I loved discovering this new world.

Disclosure - I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All ratings, opinions and thoughts are my own.