grapeapril75

If Only
Cherise Sinclair

The Corny Myers Series

The Corny Myers Series - Sharon Kleve KLUTZY LOVE
I loved the concept of this book and there were some parts that really tickled me. Unfortunately there is a lot that needs to be improved. I really wanted to love this series but the flaws outweighed the delight.

Most of the time Corny is a fun quirky character who is a walking calamity. I liked her and loved her sassy remarks. The problem was the dialogue did not quite reach the maturity level her age warranted. She often spouts dialogue more appropriate to a Disney Channel show.

Steve is a yummy cop and I mostly loved him. He is a bit overbearing at times and ridiculous in his reasons for not wanting her to be a pet detective. Not really a job that makes me think there will be loads of danger.

This has a mixed narrative, you get both Corny and Steve in the POV. Again, not really living up to their age in thought or word. It feels more YA or New Adult, with bedroom scenes included.

I did not like the work stuff. Everything with the bosses son was a bit convoluted. It really wasn't needed for the overall plot and distracted from the romance and mystery. The possibility of a murder plot on her old boss is completely waved over.

Here are the things I loved an wish had been more a part of the plotline:
1. The whole pet psychic angle, that was super interesting and held huge potential.
2. Naughty ferret Pete, he was a riot!!
3. Corny's quirky klutzy moments. The speed dating was hilarious.

FLAMINGO BLUES
This was super short and had very little in the story department.

The youthful dialogue tends to make the smexy scenes feel awkward.

I wish this had been more about the pet psychic story.

Corny and Steve are cute together but very one dimensional. I would love to see them grow and gain more depth.

BE MINE
Book three in the series gets better. I loved the pet psychic story this time. We got more into that part of Corny's life. I love her quirky friends and assistant, could really use the back story on that.

The dialogue is still immature, but I think I am getting used to it. I am very interested in seeing how the next book will go, this one was rather short.

LOVE CRAZED
This is the fourth book in the series and by far the most developed. There are still issues with a very immature dialogue, but the characters grow on you over the series.

The story feels more like a CW show and has some very cheesy moments. I have grown to love Corny and her friends, despite my complaints. This book gets a bit more into her business and her relationship with Steve. I was hoping for a bit more drama with the ex. That was solved way too quickly for my way of thinking.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Christy Williamson, who is not the right fit for this book. She has a very youthful voice that would be better suited for YA reads. While she has great energy, it only adds to the overall feel of immaturity in the story. This just wasn't the right pairing, it only served to highlight flaws. I would love to hear her on a younger read where her voice would be a real credit to the material.

It would be interesting to see this series revisited after the author has been around a bit longer. I can imagine it being expanded and improved greatly. She has great potential, a terrific concept and some really funny moments. I can see her work growing as she writes more. With all my complaints, I was still entertained and had a chuckle of two along the way.